Get out of the city of Anchorage and take the shuttle to Portage Glacier Cruises. This self-guided Portage Glacier Cruise is truly idea for the independent traveler. Your shuttle will take you directly to Portage Valley where you can enjoy a meal at Portage Day Lodge and enjoy stunning hiking trails like the Trail of Blue Ice and Byron Glacier Trail. You can also rent a bicycle for a relaxing tour of the Valley. After our before you can take the one-hour cruise on Portage Lake up to the face of Portage Glacier. Experience the sheer awesome face of a mighty Alaska glacier on your one-hour cruise aboard the mv Ptarmigan. Standing just 300 yards from a relic of the Ice Age and watching for icebergs to break off the glacier and crash into the water below. You will find out why Portage Glacier is Alaska's second most visited attraction.
This self-guided Glacier Cruise Tour allows you freedom to break away from tour groups and explore on your own and return when you want. Cruise Departures are at 10:30, Noon, 1:30 p.m., 3:00 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. You must make sure you plan accordingly so that your shuttle arrives at Portage Lodge with ample time. Shuttle Departures for this tour will be at 8:00 a.m., 10:00 a.m., Noon, 1:00 p.m. 2:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. in order to make the appropriate cruise.
On the way down to the Portage Glacier Cruise you will be traveling down Alaska’s most scenic highway known as Turnagain Arm. You will make a stop at Beluga Point, Turnagain Gallery and then on to the Portage Glacier Lodge. You may want to take some of the scenic walks found around Portage Valley – Alaska’s Crown Jewel. When you are ready to continue on simply board the hourly shuttle from the Portage Glacier Lodge back to Anchorage. The return journey back to Anchorage is simple just hop on any shuttle back to Anchorage. It’s that easy.
Board your Turnagain Arm Shuttle on the hour that you choose and return when you want.
Beluga Point: Popular photo stop with panoramic views of Turnagain Arm. Possible opportunities to see Dall sheep and Beluga whales.
Turnagain Art Gallery: Owned and operated by professional, competitive wood carvers, the gallery is full of stunning sculptures, jewelry, paintings and photographic prints.
Portage Valley: Enjoy a meal at Portage Day Lodge and enjoy stunning hiking trails like the Trail of Blue Ice and Byron Glacier Trail. You can also rent a bicycle for a relaxing tour of the Valley. Other activities include taking the one-hour cruise on Portage Lake up to the face of Portage Glacier and discovering the geology and natural history of Portage Valley at the Begich Boggs Visitor Center.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT
- Round-trip shuttle service between Anchorage and Portage lodge and to Glacier Cruise.
- Enjoy the flexibility and the many sights and scenic adventures offered along Turnagain Arm an area known as one of the most beautiful areas in the world.
- Departure and return-trip times, with shuttles leaving and returning every hour. (please check the schedule) Seats are first-come, first-serve.
Your shuttle ticket will be confirmed on the outbound for this hop on hop off shuttle instantly after making a booking. (Note to customers who are not flexible: You can upgrade to a confirmed RETURN reserved seat at our website at TurnagainArmShuttle.com.) During the drive you will be awe inspired by the scenery which is a jaw dropping experience in itself. On the return trip, listen for recommendations on where to grab a bite to eat in Anchorage. With shuttles departing and returning every hour. (Please check the schedule), coming and going to on the Turnagain Arm Shuttle couldn’t be easier. Seats on the return are first-come, first-serve with the exception of confirmed seats which are only sold as add on options at our website. So join us for the scenic drive along Alaska’s most famous drive.
THINGS TO BRING
The weather variable:
- Wear layered clothing, with water proof jacket.
- A Camera and/ or video camera.
- Comfortable shoes.
- All transport including pick-up and drop-off are included in price of tour.
- Your voucher gives you access to transportation and Portage Glacier Cruise only. You must purchase all other activities separate.
- When you board the shuttle to the Portage Glacier Cruise you must have your tickets pre-purchased and show the driver a printed voucher prior to boarding.
- All customers must pay for a seat. If you have a child you must provide your own child restraints for child to board the shuttle. Please let us know your toddler is coming along in the NOTES box so driver can be aware. If you require special assistance let us know ahead of time.
- Cancellations accepted one week prior to the tour date.
- Non-refundable tickets are not refundable but value can be used for another date.
- Cancellation less than a week prior to departure date and time or no-show: No Refund
- We adhere to all third party booking partners cancellation policy.
Sorry, we do not have child prices as our seat prices are the lowest in the industry and each departure is limited to 12 to 15 passengers.
APPROXIMATE DRIVE TIME TO PORTAGE VALLEY
- 1 hour.
- It is possible to do two activities in a day however we suggest you plan your time accordingly and purchase confirmed seat at least on the earliest outbound. Believe us when we say that your day will be filled with sights not seen in many parts of Alaska.
- Please know that our shuttle is on a schedule and we do not wait for ANY reason. The van will stop and will leave as soon as the last person is seated. We do not look for guest including confirmed seat passengers. If you are a confirmed seat passenger and want to reconfirm after missing a van please contact customer support or simply take the next van.